The Campus at Quinta do Lago will host the first premium running festival with Run Quinta in NovemberThe Campus at Quinta do Lago will host the first premium running festival with Run Quinta in November https://henmancom.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/run-quinta-1024x1024.jpg 1024 1024 Henman Communications Henman Communications https://henmancom.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/run-quinta-1024x1024.jpg
The Algarve’s first premium festival of running will take place at the Quinta do Lago resort, near Faro, Portugal.
Europe’s most exciting premier multi-sports hub, The Campus in Quinta do Lago, Portugal, have teamed up with Run Quinta to create the Algarve’s first premium running festival, with three races taking place over one weekend between the 8th and 10th of November 2019.
Run Quinta will welcome competitors to three separate races – a half marathon on the 9th November and 5K and 10K trails along the Ria Formosa on the 10th November. Runners with the ‘festival package’ will enjoy three night’s boutique accommodation at The Magnolia Hotel, dedicated menu and entertainment in the resort’s exclusive restaurants and access to the resort’s new high-performance sports hub, The Campus.
Run Quinta ambassador Wendy Sly MBE, who won the 10k World Road Race 1983 and 1984 Olympic Silver Medalist, says:
I have been coming to Quinta with my family and friends for over 30 years, and have always loved the running environment. The golf courses, the trails, the wide-open roads and the weather create the perfect location for training.
The addition of The Campus has taken it to a new level for people who love to train and play sport, and the weekend of running events with Run Quinta will be perfect for club athletes and families alike. The secret is out on my favourite training base and I can’t wait to share it!
Wendy Sly MBE, 1983 10k World Road Race champion and Olympic silver medalist in 1984
Enclosed by the resort’s natural setting, The Campus brings professional-level training to teams and athletes as well as members of Quinta’s vibrant community. As part of the Run Quinta festival package, runners will have free access to some of The Campus’ premier facilities, including a 650m running track, high-performance gym and spa rooms.
The state-of-the-art multi-sports complex also includes a full-size DESSO Grassmaster pitch, aquatic centre, cycling hub, tennis and padel courts, group fitness classes, personal training and medical and physiotherapy treatments.
Since opening in October 2018, many national and international teams and Olympic athletes have used The Campus to train and prepare for tournaments, and the facilities have received high praise from professional runners such as Lily Partridge and Susie Chan. The Campus has a weekly running club for members and guests and offers triathlon training with champion triathletes.
The festival package includes accommodation at Quinta do Lago’s four-star boutique hotel, The Magnolia Hotel. Ideal for athletes and sports lovers looking for somewhere to unwind, the hotel has divinely comfortable hypoallergenic mattresses, luxurious en-suite showers, spa treatments and healthy Mediterranean cuisine. As part of the package, transfers are offered to all races as well as The Campus and the resort’s three award-winning golf courses and golden sand beach.
Chief Executive, Sean Moriarty said:
It is fantastic to be hosting Run Quinta at The Campus this November. At Quinta do Lago, we are all about uniting health and fitness with exceptional luxury experiences, outstanding hospitality and a unique outdoor lifestyle – and this event captures everything that is possible here.
I hope all of the participants enjoy running along the banks of the Ria Formosa nature reserve just as much as they enjoy dining in our fantastic restaurants, training in our state-of-the-art gym and resting in our boutique accommodation.
Runners will stay at The Magnolia Hotel which is the ideal for families, professional athletes and teams.
An array of options are available to participate in the festival with Run Quinta, including the festival package and weekend and day passes. There are additional offers for groups and running clubs wishing to enter races over the weekend, and flight and transfer packages available to competitors.
The Race courses have been carefully plotted by Run Quinta and The Campus team which consist of keen runners and champion Tri-athletes, making the most of the varied terrain available within Quinta do Lago. Saturday’s half marathon winds in-between golf courses and lakes along perfectly maintained wide roads and stunning scenery. Sunday’s trail races make the most of the Ria Formosa national park, where the salt marshes and sand dunes meet. A group pre-race warm-up and post-race stretches will be hosted by PTs from The Campus.
Post-race entertainment will be provided each day at both Dano’s and The Shack where bands will keep energy high and extend the fun for everyone to enjoy. The chefs at Dano’s Sports Bar and Restaurant have also prepared a dedicated menu for all athletes taking part, ensuring diet, health and nutrition is a central part of the Run Quinta ‘well-being’ experience for everyone entering the running festival over the three-day period.
The Shack where the Sunday’s trail races will start and finish and guests and competitors can enjoy a post-race party
All competitors will also have free access to the rest of the Quinta do Lago resort and the other sports and leisure facilities for the weekend. Beach transfers and also bike hire is available at The Bike Shed for individuals and families wanting to explore the wonderful Ria Formosa nature reserve and the resort offer a restaurant booking facility for a wide choice of food to suit everyone.
The Campus new €10 million training, fitness and wellness facility caters for runners of all abilities including families and will host the first Run Quinta running festival in Portugal – 8th – 10th of November 2019
If you would like to arrange an interview with Wendy Sly MBE or take part in the Run Quinta running festival or visit The Campus for a press trip, please contact Richard Henman at Henman Communications on email@example.com
ABOUT RUN QUINTA
Visit – www.runquinta.com
Contact – T: +351 913 469 329 / M: +44 7786 155 455
- Race packages: https://runquinta.com/en/#race-packages
- Event Schedule: https://runquinta.com/en/#event-schedule
- Race courses: https://runquinta.com/en/#courses
- Facilities: https://runquinta.com/en/#facilities
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/runquinta
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/runquinta
3 NIGHT ‘FESTIVAL’ PACKAGE
PRICE OPTIONS (EARLY BIRD SPECIAL OFFER)
- £299 pp twin room
- £459 single occupancy
- Cabins for up to 4 people. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
3 NIGHT ‘FESTIVAL’ RACE PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- Entry to all races and entertainment all weekend
- 4* Magnolia Hotel with breakfast included
- Gym, pool, sauna, steam, cinema room (private club reservation possible) games room, table tennis, tennis courts, bike hire
- Use of Campus High Performance Gym and Rehabilitation centre at set times
- Shuttle to/from The Campus / Magnolia Hotel and for race starts throughout the weekend
- Post-race entertainment each day and dedicated set menus for all athletes
- Access to Quinta do Lago Resort & facilities for the weekend
- Beach transfer or bike hire available
- Quinta restaurant booking facility for exclusive offers
MAXIMISE YOUR WEEKEND
- Saturday night Charity dinner, auction and Olympic Athlete Q&A
- Studio classes & Padel: Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, HIIT, Padel tournament – €15
- Sports rehabilitation: Massages, Physiotherapy, Gait analysis – from €35
- Dedicated training camps
- Golf packages across The Algarve. Reduced green fees.
- Surf school and accommodation options along the West Coast
FLIGHT OPTIONS – FROM £80 RETURN
- With many options, we recommend taking an early flight on Friday 8th to maximize your time at the incredible resort
- Working on Friday and arriving late? No problem, Run Quinta will make sure you are collected and taken to check in ready for your races
- Dedicated transfer and flight packages for groups
- Clubs / Elite teams – discounts available
THE CAMPUS MEMBERS & PORTUGUESE RESIDENTS
WEEKEND PASS – £40
- Race entry to ALL races over the weekend
- Saturday Half Marathon and Sunday 10k / 5k
DAY PASS – £25
- One race entry
- Saturday Half Marathon or Sunday 10k / 5k
Friday 8 November
- Check into Magnolia Hotel
- Orientation around facilities
- The Campus fitness trail open
- Relax with friends at Dano’s Sports bar or enjoy the restaurant at Magnolia Hotel
DAY 2 – RACE
Saturday 9 November
- Half marathon road race
- Race starts – 10:30
- Starting and finishing at The Campus
- Post-race party with live music at Dano’s
DAY 3 – RACE
Sunday 10 November
- Trail Race– 5k and 10k around the salt marshes and sand dunes
- Race starts – 11:30
- Starting and finishing at The Shack
- Post-race party with live music at The Shack
- Winner podium – prizes
Monday 11 November
- Breakfast at leisure
- Morning trail run or morning sauna and steam
- Transfer to Airport
- or EXTEND your stay for
- Dedicated training camps,
- Discounted Hotel stays
- Golf packages across The Algarve. Reduced green fees
- Surf school and accommodation options
Ben is Managing Director of Jamin Sports and has 20 years’ experience in sports group and event travel and management. Jamin Sports are preferred travel partner to BASC and organize all England overseas Cross-country travel, race entry and events and will be doing the same for all Run Quinta packages. Jamin Sports arrange elite athlete travel and race entry year-round.
Kelly has been working in experiential marketing, project managing large scale immersive brand events for 14 years and has been an Account Director at Wasserman Experience for the past five of these including ATP Tennis finals and West Indies test cricket sponsorships across the Caribbean.
Wendy Sly MBE
Wendy was born in Hampton, Greater London, England. In 1978, as Wendy Smith, she finished 43rd at the World Cross Country Championships, and won a team bronze medal. In 1980 Wendy was the UK number one in the 3000 metres and finished second in the 1500 metres at the UK Championships. In 1982, at the Commonwealth Games in Brisbane, Wendy won a silver medal in the 3000 metres, running 8:48.47 behind Anne Audain.
In 1983, now competing as Wendy Sly, Wendy finished fifth in the finals of both the 1500 metres and the 3000 metres at the inaugural World Championships in Helsinki. Wendy ran her lifetime bests in both events, 4:04.14 in the 1500 m and 8:37.06 in the 3000 m. Also that year, she won the IAAF World Women’s Road Race Championships in San Diego contested over 10 km.
35 years ago, at her first Olympic Games in 1984 in Los Angeles, Wendy won a silver medal in the infamous 3000 metres final that included the collision between Mary Decker and Zola Budd, with whom she had a strong rivalry. She ran a season’s best of 8:39.47. The race was won by Maricica Puică of Romania.
Wendy finished eighth in the 1987 World Championships 3000 metres final in Rome. Then at her second Olympics in Seoul, she finished seventh in the 3000 metres final in 8:37.70, her fastest time in five years.
As of 2014, Wendy still ranks in the UK all-time top 10 lists in the 3000 metres (6th with 8:37.06 1983), 10,000 metres (10th with 31:53.36 in 1988), 10 km road (3rd with 31:29 in 1983) and 15 km road (4th with 48:17 in 1985).
Wendy was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2015 New Year Honours for services to athletics. Wendy is currently MD of Great Run Publishing and publisher of Athletics Weekly. She is an Ambassador for Run Quinta.